Sunday 28 August 2011

27-8-11 Another Man in Seat 61

Finding WiFi links is already posing problems, when they do exist they're asking for £5 an hour & I don't fancy sprinkling my credit card number to all & sundry across the planet - it sounds like a great scam to freely give your financial details to someone you don't know. I'd never do that at home!
So I've failed to upload my first on-route blog on time. Didn't even manage it with free WiFi at St Pancras so I'm writing them & will post them when I get reliable access.

I'm sitting in seat 61 on carriage 11 of the Eurostar to Brussels. Its not that I'm superstitious or anticipate any special luck from occupying such a famous rail travellers seat - it just seems a good place to start a train journey to the other side of the world.
For years I've thought about doing parts of this journey & Mark Smith's (the man in seat 61) website is an inspiration to every adventurous rail traveller. But it was whilst talking to Sheila Manzano from Railbookers.com a few months ago when she simply said 'why not?' And she was right, so here I am riding the rails out of the UK, on-route across the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment